The Excel Basic Reading Skills series aims to help primary-aged children with reading and comprehension using short pieces of writing. Each page comprises a self-contained, one-page exercise, ensuring children only need to focus on one simple activity at a time. In today's world, most children probably read less than their parents or grandparents did at the same age. Distractions such as television and video games take up many hours that could be spent in reading. To excel in reading requires plenty of practice.
In this third book in the series, Excel Basic Skills: Basic Reading Skills Years 5–6, the activities cover a wide range of reading skills such as:
- basic comprehension of a text
- predicting words in a story
- recognising different 'voices' in a text
- finding words that are wrong
- sorting different kinds of words
- fun activities, such as anagram puzzles and simple crosswords are also included